In 1909, a group of local golfers founded the Lakeside Country Club in Manitowoc, WI. After 44 years of play at the 9-hole facility, the members of the club voted to build a new 18 hole golf course and winterized clubhouse. The current Branch River location was chosen, and with the help of well-known golf course architect William H. Diddel of Indianapolis, Indiana and Naples, Florida the current Branch River design was laid out.
A local farmer, Abner Halvorsen, who sold the club the largest of the three farms acquired for the project was in charge of construction. Construction of the golf course and swimming pool occurred in 1954 and 1955. The golf course opened for play in May of 1956, and the clubhouse opened in November of that year. The clubs name was changed from Lakeside Country Club to Branch River Country club on July 17, 1956.
In 1968 Golf Digest Magazine recognized the excellence of the course by including BRCC in its listing of “The Two Hundred Toughest Courses in The United States.” The listing was developed with the assistance of the USGA and PGA of America.
From 1956-2011 BRCC operated as a private, member only, establishment. In 2011 a group of members purchased the land and buildings and opened the facility to the public, and changed the name to what it is now known as today, The Golf Course at Branch River.